Moles carry a different meaning for different people. While some think of a mole as beauty marks, others consider it embarrassing and want to get them removed.
What is a Mole?
If put most simply, a mole is a growth on the skin. Many people are born with it, while in others’ cases, a mole can appear anytime during life. They can be of various colors – skin-colored, brown, pink, red. While some have hairs in them, others don’t.
The size of a mole varies from one person to another, and one place to another. Some of them are as small as the head of a pin, while others are as big as a button. The shape and texture of moles vary too. They can be bumpy and jagged or smooth and round.
Is It Ideal to Remove Mole?
Most moles are harmless and like said before, moles are beauty marks to some and embarrassing to others. Therefore, the reason for mole removal is mostly cosmetic.
Certain moles can be cancerous and need to be removed to get rid of malignancy.
How to Determine If a Mole Is Cancerous?
The best way to determine whether a mole is cancerous or pre-cancerous is to undergo a skin health checkup with a board certified dermatologist. However, there are certain things about a mole that might indicate malignancy:
- Irregular Border
- Varied Color within a Single Mole
- Bigger in Diameter (Greater than 6 mm.)
- Changes in Color, Size, or Shape
Apart from the above, few signs indicate that a mole needs attention –
- Any signs of infection
What are the Options for Skin Mole Removal?
The removal options for a mole varies depending upon its size.
- If a mole is small and sits on the surface of the skin without deep roots, it can be frozen off using a topical solution or liquid nitrogen.
- Moles that are medium-sized can be surgically shaved off using sterile dermatological instruments. The process is delicate and should be done by only a board certified skin specialist for minimum scar marks and no infection.
- Laser treatment can remove larger moles with deeper roots. Intense light helps break down the cells within the mole. This process might take a few sessions.
- Lastly mole removal surgery, a surgeon can simply make a small incision and remove the mole.
Moles are mostly natural, and natural things should be kept as they are. However, in case of any of the above scenarios, mole removal should be done by a board certified dermatologist, surgeon or cosmetic surgeon.